This Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is perfect to make on a winter’s evening, its quick and easy and delicious too. This healthy winter warmer serves two and is full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to help support your immune system. It also contains ginger which helps fight the common cold – What’s not to like.
With a Vegetarian alternative: Tofu Noodle Soup
- Chicken or (v) Vegetable Stock – 900ml
- Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breast – 175g or (v) Firm Tofu Cubes – 175g
- 1 x Teaspoon Fresh Ginger – Diced
- 1 x Clove of Garlic – Diced
- Rice or Wheat Noodles – 50g
- 2 x Tablespoons of Sweetcorn (Canned or Frozen)
- 2-3 x Mushrooms – Thinly Sliced
- 2 x Spring Onions – Sliced (Plus Extra for Serving)
- 2 x Teaspoons of Soy Sauce (Plus Extra for Serving)
- Mint or Basil Leaves and Diced Chili (optional) for Garnish
Pour the chicken or vegetable stock into a pan and add the chicken breast, ginger and finely chopped garlic. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat slightly, partly cover and simmer for 20 mins, until the chicken is tender.
Once cooked put the chicken on a board and shred into bite-size pieces using a couple of forks. Return the chicken to the stock with the rice or wheat noodles, sweetcorn, sliced mushrooms, spring onion and soy sauce. Simmer for 3-4 mins until the noodles are tender.
Ladle into two bowls and scatter over the remaining spring onion, mint or basil leaves and chilli (optional). Serve with extra soy sauce.
Simmer firm tofu cubes for 5 mins, then add the other ingredients as before.
Recipe courtesy of Mary Cadogan/ BBC Good Food