Gates is one of the largest independent destination garden centres in the UK, established in 1948 and continually growing and developing in response to customer demand and market trends. Gates Farm Shop focuses on offering the finest locally sourced produce, complemented by the best from national and international producers, as well as quality Beef and Lamb supplied from our own farm in the village.
The large-scale, state-of-the-art farm shop at Gates Garden Centre has gone from strength to strength since opening in August 2019. We’re always interested in hearing from suitably experienced people, even if the following positions aren’t suitable for you.
Buyer / Merchandiser – Farm Shop
The large-scale, state-of-the-art farm shop at Gates Garden Centre has gone from strength to strength since opening in August 2019. Due to internal promotion and expansion, we are now looking for an experienced retail manager to run the day to day operations of this part of the business.
A hands-on role, you will be responsible for identifying and sourcing ranges that drive sales and improve margin to lead the Farm Shop to the next level. You will build strong relationships with suppliers and keep up to date with current trends to ensure that our offer is always seasonally relevant and attractive to customers.
On a day to day basis the Farm Shop Buyer / Merchandiser will:
- Plan & build product ranges to make best use of the available retail space and meet key seasonal deadlines
- Actively trade the department to maximise sales and minimise terminal stock
- Ensure the right products are available at the right time
- Place and track all product orders
- Help develop and track monthly sales plans
- Set product prices, markdowns and discounts
- Maximise profit margin while offering value to our customers
- Manage budgets, reporting performance to the senior management team
- Provide information in relation to product launches, sales & stock levels to the eCommerce and Marketing teams
- Work with our Visual Merchandising team to create attractive, shoppable displays
- Previous food buying / merchandising experience in a retail environment
- Commercially aware
- Experience with WSSIs & OTB an advantage
- Results driven and happy to work to targets
- Highly organised and reliable, with great attention to detail
- Team player, energetic, enthusiastic and dynamic
- Passionate about food quality and provenance
- Professional and well-presented
What we offer
Competitive Salary dependent upon experience. Staff discount scheme for Farm Shop & Restaurant purchases from your first day as well as discounts in the garden centre after a qualifying period.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to Jack Gates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Gates Garden Centre, Somerby Road, Cold Overton, Oakham LE15 7QB.